Good morning and welcome to the second day of the CIG rare books cataloguing e-forum from your three moderators, Karen Pierce (Cardiff University), Katie Flanagan (Brunel University) and Iris O’Brien (The British Library), we’ll be here between 10am and 4pm.

Today we will focus on practical examples. The links to the early printed books that we are going to catalogue and discuss today are on the CIG website, alongside a template to create your own records: http://www.cilip.org.uk/cataloguing-indexing-group/events/cig-e-forum-rare-books-cataloguing

We hope people will share their records with the e-forum; it is not compulsory to submit the records if you just want to have a go in private but we would encourage people to do so. You only need to complete those fields and subfields you think are necessary for each title and feel free to add extra fields to the form where necessary (e.g. additional note or subject fields). We would like to assure you that shared records won’t be 'marked' or ‘judged' in any way and that we expect that the records submitted won't all be identical. In fact, it's the differences in records which will aid our discussions.

We had some problems with the list yesterday with the delivery of messages to participants’ inboxes taking a very long time so it might be worthwhile checking the list’s webpage (https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=CIG-E-FORUM) from time to time to make sure you don’t miss out on messages.

In order to make the discussion of records a bit easier, we have come up with the following timetable:

10.00-10.15      Submission of record 1
10.15-10.45      Discussion of record 1
10.45-11.00      Submission of record 2
11.00-11.30      Discussion of record 2
11.30-11.45      Submission of record 3
11.45-12.15      Discussion of record 3
12:15-12:30      Submission of record 4
12.30-14.00      Lunch
14.00-14.30      Discussion of record 4
14.30-14.45      Submission of record 5
14.45-15.15      Discussion of record 5
15:15-16:00      Any other queries and follow-up
16:00                Close of e-forum

We have built in 15 minutes for the submission of each record (giving us all time to have a look at the records), and then half an hour for discussion on each record.

This timetable is not set in stone, though, so don't feel you can't post something you wanted to talk about or comment on a particular record if you are only around at a particular time of day.
If you're posting about something new, then please give your subject header a relevant title so that those participating can keep track of conversations more easily and include [CIG-E-FORUM] in the header to aid those who are filtering mail into a separate folder.

We are all looking forward to your records, so, please, start sending them now.

Kind regards,
Iris

Iris O'Brien
Early Printed Collections Cataloguing and Processing Manager
The British Library
St Pancras
96 Euston Road
London
NW1 2DB
Tel.: +44 (0)20 7412 7731
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk<http://www.bl.uk/>
The British Library’s latest Annual Report and Accounts : www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html<http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html>
Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. www.bl.uk/adoptabook<http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook>
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print