I'm sure many colleagues will be sad to hear about the death of Joan Ferguson, formerly Joan Sinar, who was County Archivist for Derbyshire between 1962 and 1988.  Joan was Derbyshire's first county archivist and was responsible for setting up Derbyshire Record Office.  She oversaw a considerable expansion of the service which started in a cramped room in County Hall and was moving to its own building just as she retired.  She previously spent ten years setting up Devon Record Office, and before that worked at Staffordshire.

Following her retirement, Joan continued living in Derbyshire until sometime after her marriage, when she and her husband moved to France, and then finally to Northern Ireland.  I'm afraid I have only recently been notified of her death, which I understand took place in Northern Ireland in January this year.  Derbyshire Record Society will be publishing a full obituary in due course and we hope that a national newspaper will also be publishing an obituary in the near future.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Chubb | Archives & Local Studies Manager
Derbyshire Record Office

Health & Communities | Derbyshire County Council
New Street, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3FE
T 01629 539201 | F 01629  536522

Keep up to date with the latest news from Derbyshire Record Office by visiting our Blog:
http://recordoffice.wordpress.com<http://recordoffice.wordpress.com/>

This email or email thread section has been classified CONTROLLED - This email requires controlled access by Council personnel and / or intended recipient(s) only. This email may contain business or personal information.

Think before you print! Save energy and paper. Do you really need to print this email?

Derbyshire County Council works to improve the lives of local people by delivering high quality services. You can find out more about us by visiting 'www.derbyshire.gov.uk'. If you want to work for us go to our job pages on 'www.derbyshire.gov.uk/jobs'. You can register for e-mail alerts, download job packs and apply on-line.

Please Note
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged and may contain personal views that are not the views of Derbyshire County Council. It is intended solely for the addressee. If this email was sent to you in error please notify us by replying to the email. Once you have done this please delete the email and do not disclose, copy, distribute, or rely on it.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000 the contents of this email may be disclosed.

Derbyshire County Council reserves the right to monitor both sent and received emails.