Dear List,

I’ve been so impressed by the level of knowledge of all the contributors to this discussion, and of their critical knowledge of systems of production that have been gained from the inside. As Marc Garret said on our Curator’s short course about working with any kind of political or collaborative system "you have to experience it to know what it is”.  https://curatingprofessionalcourse.wordpress.com/

A recurring theme seems to have been about ensuring that the power balance between any cross-sector partners is an equal one, which is no mean feat when considering the large differences between art and science research, or between large globalised technology companies, and arts funding.   As Jon Winet said about being artist in residence at Xerox Parc: the differences were not so much about art and technology, as about art and business. I was very interested in David Garcia’s discussion of business models therefore...

So, I’m particularly impressed by the projects discussed here which have given aspects of time and money, significant thought - one of the best things about the briefing meetings for the NESTA/ACE/AHRC R&D grants was the firm clarity with which the expectation of equal payment rates across art, technology business and education partners was expressed.  Are there any other good models of trying to ensure good power balances?

Yours,

Beryl

Beryl Graham, Professor of New Media Art
CRUMB web resource for new media art curators http://www.crumbweb.org
Research Student Manager, Art and Design
MA Curating Course Leader http://www.macurating.net

Faculty of Arts, Design, and Media, University of Sunderland
The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peter's Way, Sunderland, SR6 0DD  Tel: +44 191 515 2896

Recent books:
New Collecting: Exhibiting and Audiences, Ashgate<http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409448945>
Rethinking Curating: Art After New Media, MIT Press<http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12071>
A Brief History of Curating New Media Art, The Green Box<http://www.thegreenbox.net/en/books/brief-history-curating-new-media-art>