Yes, that can be the difficult thing. Some of our partners have met at
art/science speed meet events (we ran one in 2007, and they've been running
them as part of the Ultimo Science Festival for a few years:
http://ultimosciencefestival.com/2014/event/art-science-soiree-connect-create-and-collaborate/).
We also help broker partnerships through our networks and facilitate
introductions. And then there is the Synapse database, which went live in
2007 @www.synapse.net.au - a fantastic resource that we're working on the
backend of at the moment. Note that it wasn't moderated until three or four
years ago, so whilst now the intent is to capture info about art/science
collaborations that have taken place (and thus providing info about
possible partners who have already demonstrated their interest) it also
contains records of people expressing interest in setting up such
partnerships.

There is also the artsactive.net site (which is rather inactive, but a
great resource for what has happened and with who over the past half dozen
years).

cheers
Vicki