Dear colleagues

One of the best libraries on history of science, technology and medicine
in Spain is now being divided in two parts due to unfortunate decisions
of small time politicians. It is an unnecessary collateral damage
following the closing of the Institute for the History of Science and
Medicine "López Piñero" in Valencia. The library gathers around 12,000
books and half a hundred journals -- including the most famous journals
on history of medicine and science. A recent agreement between two
institutions includes the split of the journal collection in two parts:
the first part, the oldest one, will remain in Valencia, while the
issues published after 2000 will be transported to Madrid. It is true
that the role of paper copies in the age of electronic reproduction is
limited -- but the division of the collection transforms the two parts
in incomplete collections with no value at all. Being the two divorced
institutions public libraries, you can imagine what a non-sense is the
transport of paper volumes from one place to another when digital
versions are available online. For instance, in the case of journal
/Ambix/, the numbers from 1937 to 1999 will remain in Valencia, the
issues published between 2000 and 2010 will be moved to Madrid, and the
issues published after 2010 (which I am donating to the library) will
remain in Valencia. Similar crazy situations can be found in other
journals.

We can still revert this situation. We have received the support of many
colleagues, institutions and academic societies during the last two
weeks. A website in change.org is now available (texts in Spanish and
English) and the number of signatures is growing up:

   Against the division of the library of the López Piñero Institute

<http://goo.gl/TBB4xZ>

You can also send your views to me ([log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) or to the people who decided the split:
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> -- Pilar Campins, she
is a chemist, now vice-chancellor of the University of Valencia; Emilio
Lora-Tamayo <[log in to unmask]>, he is a physicist, now
president of Spanish Research Council) Please send me a copy of the
emails to me, just to keep record.

Thanks in advance for your collaboration against this irrational and
unnecessary damage of public goods concerning history of science.

Best wishes

José R. Bertomeu

(With apologies for cross-posting)

PD: You can get more information (in Spanish) in this newspaper:
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2015/03/06/valencia/1425666062_622752.html

http://goo.gl/TBB4xZ
--

*José Ramón Bertomeu-Sánchez*

Institut d'Història de la Medicina i de la Ciència "López Piñero"

Universitat de València-CSIC

Plaça Cisneros, 4

46003 VALENCIA (Spain)

email: [log in to unmask]