Dear Rolf,

Interesting thoughts. It is likely that there several forms of abduction. Depending on how one defines the term, and the examples one can give, there may be more than two.

In a field such as design, it seems to me that one would use all forms of induction. One may use different forms for different purposes. In some cases, we wish to move toward a future that does not exist. In other cases, we may simply wish to know the state of affairs. In many instances of design, we simply need to know that something is the case about a certain material or process. When we are testing a material or process for which we don’t have full information, therefore, an aspect of design research may entail inquiries that resemble scientific inquiry. The next step is to find out how to use what we have learned.

In the large scope of design, therefore, we may use all forms of inquiry, including both (or several) forms of abduction.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in Cooperation with Tongji University Press | Launching in 2015

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

—

Rolf Johansson wrote:

—snip—

Oh yes. Adopting a hypothesis as being suggested by facts is abduction.

But, Peirce thinks of two different modes to propose a hypothesis: “Hypothesis is where we find some very curious circumstance, which would be explained by the supposition that it was a case of a certain rule, and thereupon adopt that supposition. Or where we find that in certain respects two objects have strong resemblance, and that they resemble one another strongly in other respects.”

Seems like there are two kinds of abduction. One that reason backwards from facts to the possible cause — let's say retroductive abduction (Facts
that suggest a theory and leads to a conclusion about what the case may be). And another one that draws from a repertoire of known cases by analogy — let's say productive abduction. This second mode of abduction is pertinent in design, because it can suggest what may be in the future.

—snip—