  From: Jon Cannon
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 10:50 PM
  Subject: Re: [M-R] occasions for bell ringing

  It's pre-Edward VI, James, and that's good enough for me. How silly of me -- should have thought of looking there.

  Jon

  http://joncannon.wordpress.com/

  Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 21:54:46 +0000
  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]

  This isn't much earlier than your St Mary Redcliffe reference, Jon, but the Rites of Durham explain quite fully the varied use of bells in the central and west towers there in the early 16th century.
  Cheers,
  Jim