Er, before Gordon picks me up, that's 1436/7-1449!

Rosemary
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Rosemary Hayes-Milligan and Andrew Milligan
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 10:24 AM
Subject: [M-R] images - processional cross

Dear Genevra

Your recent comment re Padua, asking people to tell you if they need images has prompted me to write.

I have had a look at your site but have not seen any images of a particular kind of processional cross I have been looking for.  The Edward VI inventories of Lincoln cathedral record a processional cross given to the cathedral by, 'my man', Bishop William Alnwick (bishop of Lincoln 1426-49).  It is described as a crucifix with images of the four evangelists on each corner - so far, so usual.  But it also has images of Mary and John sticking out on either side - as in a rood screen.  Forgive my inelegant description.

I once had time to kill on Peterborough station and ran to the cathedral (former abbey) for a quick look round.  In the treasury, which was open, was a processional cross looking very like the inventory description.  It belongs to a Lincolnshire church and it's tempting to think it might be the very one, although they may have been more common than they are now. Of course, I did not have my camera and every time I have returned since (usually with family in tow), the treasury has been closed and I have been unable to find anyone who can help me get photographs - I think they think I'm casing the joint for burglary!  Clearly I need to go back with a proper appointment and permission.

In the mean time, do you, or does anyone else on the list have any images of such a cross or any idea of how common they are/may have been?  I have a photo taken from a poster I caught sight of in Venice last year, that I can send you off-list so you can see what I mean.

Many thanks,
Rosemary

Dr RCE Hayes
18 Murrayfield Drive