From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of EVIDENCE-BASED-HEALTH automatic digest system
Sent: 01 February 2015 01:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: EVIDENCE-BASED-HEALTH Digest - 30 Jan 2015 to 31 Jan 2015 (#2015-25)

Topics of the day:

  1. Genetic tests and Predictive validity (7)

Date:    Sat, 31 Jan 2015 02:08:24 +0000
From:    "Mayer, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Genetic tests and Predictive validity

Hi Teresa,

You are absolutely correct.  This is why we should demand that diagnostic studies ONLY present the results of Sensitivity, Specificity and Likelihood ratios.

This issue has been a serious problem for many years and it is about time that more people spoke up about it.  Also, journal editors and peer reviewers should be up in arms against the practice of reporting PPV and NPV.

Best wishes

Dan