On 19/02/15 11:00, Emilia C. Arturo (Emily) wrote:
> Hello all.

Hello Emilia (Emily),

> I'd like to understand what it is I'm looking at when I use Coot's
> density fit analysis tool. I recognize that there was a post related
> to this topic on the Coot bb a while ago --the discussion was on how
> to interpret the red-ness or green-ness of the density fit plot
> (https:[log in to unmask])
> <https:[log in to unmask]> --but
> it doesn't seem the issue was resolved then (i.e. what does 'red'
> really mean? is it ...bad?).

I failed to fix this for 0.8.1  I will add it to the list now for 0.8.2.

The colours were set for "typical" (~2.1A on the absolute scale).

> Now I have more to ask that involves my using phenix-generated FEMs to
> build in Coot.
>
> So what I've done is the following: I adjust my model in Coot, using a
> phenix-generated FEM as the map for fitting, then refine with phenix,
> and using the refined pdb and reflections file, I use phenix to
> generate a new FEM. Then I repeat. At some point I learned about
> Coot's density fit analysis tool and took a look at how my model fits.
> If the map that is selected in the sidebar of Coot is a FEM, then the
> density fit analysis plot looks mostly green everywhere - fine. If,
> however, I select as my map in the Coot sidebar the 2Fo-Fc that phenix
> had generated along with the latest refined model--the one I'm
> examining with the density fit analysis tool--then Coot's density fit
> analysis plot looks red (with values ~ < 0.3), with splashes of
> orange, barely any green or yellow (with values ~ > 0.3), almost
> everywhere.

:-( yes - this doesn't work for FEM maps.

> So these are my questions: What are the units of the density fit values?

electrons/A^3 with volume normalization.

I think FEM maps are normalized (so that the mean is 0 and standard
deviation is 1.0) and this is not typical for maps generated from
structure factors on the absolute scale - where you'd expect density
values smaller than this by a factor of 2 or 3 (or so)).

So the density values from FEM maps are higher and the validation graph
greener.

> i.e. What is the calculation that's done?

The map is sampled at the atoms and weighted by occupancy.

> I'm surprised that the FEM-dependent density fit graphs look so
> different (i.e. so green) relative to the graphs generated if my map
> is set to the 2Fo-Fc from the loaded model;

I know less about FEM maps than I should, but I can refer you to Section
7.9.1 of the documentation:

https://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/Personal/pemsley/coot/web/docs/coot.html#Validation-Graphs

After you've rescaled, I'd be interested in your reflections of the
differences.

Regards,

Paul.