Wanting this to take on the aura of the distant past as with earlier poems,
I gleaned a little, and there built up some sense of the watcher
and the tallyman both.
‘like a fisherman...'
‘like one harvesting / with a scythe’
give me that pleasure, and an imaginative touch.
also ‘as boys at harps’.
And ‘as a mouse or familiar’.
Four similes, pleasing in themselves, and suggesting the way Elidius responds.

(their line - might as well be his line?
dexterous dextrous
and whom I assume who)