Indeed. But different kind of tally man.
I am not sure that I have ever seen this kind of tallying in action; but I
did go down a hole (really) at a deserted site on a Greek island, the name
of which eludes me - it was in a film the name of which eludes me
supposedly Rodos - it was Symi, where there were tally marks on the wall, 4
horizontals down and 1 diagonal through. That may have been 2000 years old.
I love that aspect of Greece, almost Marie Celeste. (The whole world will
be like that soon.) My dad taught me that simple tally method because we
thought, correctly, that the coalman was cheating us. 18 or 19 sacks tipped
in. There you are govnor, 20 cwt. Whether or not the sacks were 1 cwt is
another matter. If they could get away with simple short change I doubt
they bothered tipping out a few bits of coal from each
The main harbour of Symi is rather impressive - I remember a young man
walking past, looking at me and the mrs and saying Why dont you fuck off...
a good question.... and then round to the next bay where it seems there had
been a port millennia ago. But they werent in either when we went. And in
the film as I remember we cut from Symi to the diplomatic quarter of Rhodes
Town. Quiet and salubrious....