From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jacqui
Sent: 27 January 2015 20:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Health surveillance for Fish Workers

Hi Jo
I am clearing out some books tonight- and I came across Hunters diseases of occupations 1978 (it has some fabulous photos of work related health problems in the dim and distant past)- i thought I would have a quick glance through, as I was not sure which types of fish at what stage I had a bit of a read to see what was around then...I ignored the deep sea fishing risks and the venomous fish/seaweed illnesses but have found some fabulous disease descriptions such as Dogger Bank itch

It suggests that common illness for the fishing industry were...

Weils disease due to handing fish which have been in water shared with rats - or rats in the storage areas/gutting platforms - hopefully it wont be such a dirty environment these days, today I have learned that between 1934- 1948 86% of cases of Wiels disease in North east Scotland were fish workers!

Conjunctivitis, keratitis (oyster handlers) and dermatitis Erysiphaloid (found in fish slime!) and other bacteria infections due to cuts/scratched hands.

Hopefully you wont have any of these as the risks are hopefully managed and the fish washed before your teams handle them.

Jacqui

********************************

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

This communication came from one of the Napp Pharmaceutical group of companies below:
Bard Pharmaceuticals Limited (company number: 0987562), Napp Pharmaceutical Group Limited (company number: 0884285), Napp Pharmaceuticals Limited (company number: 3690299) Napp Pharmaceutical Holdings Limited (company number: 3486244), Napp Laboratories Limited (company number: 0192707).  All companies are registered in England & Wales and with the same registered office address at Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0AB, England - tel: +44 (0) 1223 424444, fax: +44 (0) 1223 424441.  www.napp.co.uk
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this email is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  It may contain confidential and privileged information and if you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance upon it.

If you believe you have received the email in error or doubt the authenticity of email apparently from this source, please notify the sender.  You should then destroy and delete the message from your computer.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: