Hi all,

I was asked for all HER data in Hampshire for certain periods by a similar website back in 2009ish – the name escapes me, but I refused! Might have been the same lot in an early incarnation, but I remember raising the issues that other have already mentioned. I seem to remember that they were planning to use it as a kind of tourist archaeology website at the time, but still failing to mention any of the important things like ‘don’t go digging up SAMs’ while at the same time saying ‘why not buy a metal detector and see what YOU can find!’...

But this yet again raises the issue that there are glamorous alternatives on the web to HERs that may be being accessed by people that may have a genuine interest in the past, but don’t necessarily know where to go. Maybe because HERs need to be promoted more within the public view?

Cheers

Alex

Alex Godden

Archaeological Officer

Cultural & Environmental Protection

West Berkshire Council Market Street Newbury RG14 5LD

(01635) 519534 Ext 2534 [log in to unmask]

www.westberks.gov.uk/archaeology