How I would love to have a whole semester to teach The Confessions! The way I approach it is to take any one of Augustine's meaty themes at a time along with short readings that bear on it. Starting with childhood: why is there a chunk of time we don't remember? What is the origin of language?  Is harsh discipline in education warranted? Why do we incline toward our will rather than God's? Where is God and why isn't God located anywhere? What is memory? Where is it located? What is time? Many connections to modern scientific thinking about time as a dimension, memory and cognition, too. Generally if you take any modern concept people are wrestling with, Augustine did too.

Sent from my iPad