Tunics which had lain for a novena on the reliquary of the Virgin's Tunic at Chartres Cathedral used to be considered able to miraculously fend off bullets and other weapons.  And I recall some stories of the First World War in which soldiers were saved from bullets or shrapnel by the Bible they were carrying on their person.  Wycliffe seems an unlikely inheritor of that miraculous tradition.  I'm not sure he'd approve!
Jim

________________________________
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Al Magary [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: November 20, 2014 2:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] A bit offtopiic: Wycliffe to the rescue

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Is there's extra salvation value in studying medieval theologians?  In the shooting today in the library at Florida State University, in which three were wounded, USA Today reports:

Student Jason Derfuss said he was leaving the library when the shooter opened fire very near him. Derfuss posted on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/jason.derfuss> pictures of a bullet and a book, Great Medieval Thinkers: John Wyclif, the bulllet had torn through. Derfuss says in his post he was near the gunman when the shooting started but never felt the shot and only discovered the damage three hours later.

"He was about 5 feet from me, but he hit my books," Derfuss said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/20/fsu-guman/19310741/
Author of that book is Stephen Edmund Lahey, who teaches philosophy at Lemoyne College.

Cheers,
Al Magary
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion