In a way this request is sequel to the recent discussion on languages or the lack of them. I have Latin and French but no German.

There has come to my attention a thesis written in German in 1958 which is relevant to part of my research. I THINK (I hope) that the Abstract which is customarily prepended to the main text of a thesis will be sufficient for my purposes and I would have no qualms in asking a friend to translate for me a page of A4. However, the German University library has assured me there is no Abstract but I THINK they mean that there is no SEPARATELY PUBLISHED abstract. My local public library has approached the British Library about an Inter-Library Loan of the whole thesis and the BL has quoted a filthy price to which my local library’s fee would be added. I cannot give the page reference for a single=sheet p’copy since I do not know the page number.

So as an alternative approach I was wondering if any member /lurker on this list is a member of the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat in Munich and would be in a position to look at the thesis for me and copy the abstract. This is a long shot and I know it is a bit of a cheek, but amazing things are done on and by this list so I thought it was at least worth asking. And yes, I have searched on-line and as far as I know, this thesis has not been copied into the collection of any other learned institution.

I can give full details to anyone who is interested.

Ever hopeful,

Brenda