OK. I could use some help from the medievalists and byzantinists -- or
whomever. I'm trying to explore pre-reformation interpretations of the
"mark of the beast" (the number 666, or the variant 616), from
Revelation 13. In his classic study of "Antichrist" traditions, Bousset
is content to accept the old historical identification of Nero, but many
other identifications have been offered over the centuries (before much
Protestant polemics pointed to the Papacy in various forms). There is
some help from online searches (e.g. Wiki articles), especially on the
early period and the spate of anti-Muslim applications, but I haven't
yet found much on medieval (broadly speaking) commentators, especially
those writing in Latin and Greek and Syriac. The works that I have seen
on commentaries (e.g. Francis X. Gumerlock, Patristic Commentaries on
Revelation [online] "third through eighth centuries") tend not to
address the "666/616" problem directly. I haven't yet checked the
following:

E. Ann Matter, “The Apocalypse in Early Medieval Exegesis,” and John
Williams, “The Apocalypse Commentary of Beatus of Liébana,” in Emmerson
and McGinn, eds., The Apocalypse in the Middle Ages (Ithaca, NY: Cornell
University Press, 1993), 38-50, 217-33; Emmerson, Antichrist in the
Middle Ages (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1981); Bernard
McGinn, Visions of the End: Apocalyptic Traditions in the Middle Ages,
2nd ed. (New York: Columbia University Press, 1999).

Am I missing anything obvious in the secondary literature? I do have a
list of "patristic" texts and authors to check (e.g. I'm told that
Hippolytus, Pseudo-Ephraem, Pseudo-Epiphanius, Isidore of Seville (d.
635), and Bede all interpreted Revelation 11-13 in their writings about
Antichrist, and that In the second half of the sixth century or in the
seventh century, an anonymous author wrote De monogramma [Roger Gryson,
ed. CCSL 107:146-57], an explanation of the number of the beast in
Revelation 13:18), but more such references would be welcome. I'll be
happy to share the results with anyone interested.

Thanks.

Bob Kraft, Emeritus UPenn