Dear Jennifer,

I have found that the key principle for conducting evaluation activities with children at this age level is to have some kind of object to orient their attention. This can be done after the activity by having them draw something relevant to the activity, and then interviewing them about what they drew and why. It can also be done by using some kind of artefact from the activity (or representing the activity) as a focal point for them to look at, while interviewing them. I have found drawings to be a preferable option on a practical level because you then have a durable product that you can use to anchor your analysis/interpretations of the interview responses.

Best,
Eric

---------------

Dr Eric Jensen, Fellow Higher Education Academy

Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer), Department of Sociology, University of Warwick

http://warwick.academia.edu/EricJensen

Recent books:

- The Therapeutic Cloning Debate: Global Science and Journalism in the Public Sphere (published April 2014) - http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781472403803

- Culture & Social Change: Transforming Society through the Power of Ideas - http://www.infoagepub.com/products/Culture-and-Social-Change

Upcoming Books:

- From Conservation Education to Public Engagement: Research, Principles and Practice (Cambridge University Press)

- Making the Most of Public Engagement Events: Research, Principles and Practice (Cambridge University Press)

- Doing Real Research (SAGE)

Current project:

- Using Social Media to Identify and Leverage Engagement (SMILE) with Arts and Culture - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/sociology/staff/academicstaff/jensen/ericjensen/smile

The Department of Sociology at the University of Warwick has been ranked 3rd in the University Guide 2015 Guardian league table and 23rd in the QS World University Rankings 2014