John,

I think this is in the "cloud-cuckoo-land" area.  There's no significant
shielding on the lunar surface from cosmic rays and all the exciting things
the sun does.  The radiation dose is too high to simply live on the surface
of the moon.  Logistics to deal with this have to consider the exposure to
personnel whilst setting up shielded living and working places for them.  I
think this argues machinery, either to drill into the ground or to cover
with "soil".  Trying to do this by hand is going to give far too high
radiation doses to personnel, even if it is actually possible, which
remains to be demonstrated.  The logistics of a moon base are such that
this will probably stretch the whole world's finances, if it ever is, in
practice, achievable. I doubt whether one more hole in the surface of the
moon is going to forward that very much, if at all, and for that the price
is far too much.

I think it can be safely consigned to the Jingoism "box" like all too much
right now in the tiny political world mindset that is the UK right now.

Regards,

David Walland