My impression - in the land of ever-expanding highways and suburban
sprawls built such that you have to drive your car to by a litre of milk
- is that if you widen a road to reduce traffic jams, it only encourages
more traffic - and continued jams.
This is only an observation - no scientific research involved - so I'd
want to look at studies on the effect of broadening roadways before
coming to a serious conclusion.
Eve