It is hoped that 'crowdfunding' will cover the cost of the moon mission.
Funding something by public subscription is nothing new, it has been going
on since classical times, but with the powerful communication tool of the
web the potential is greater than ever.
It enables people to donate money to projects that they woud like to
support themselves rather than their taxes going onto whatever the
government decides.
I have always said that the archaeological sector has chronically
misunderstood its own financial potential. The problem that archaeology
suffers from is a moralistic element that the past belongs to everyone so
it shouldn't profit the individual. However it is only the archaeologist
who thinks this, the commercial sector that so often benefits from our
heritage, tourism etc, rubs their hands whenever another attraction appears
in their locality.
Each summer London fills with tourists from around the world, they don't
come for the weather but to experience our heritage. Heritage sector
employees see little of the billions generated by this tourism instead it
goes to those who make a living off the back of people's interests.
There are a great number of people worldwide with an interest in the past.
Most if these rarely get the opportunity to experience the past first hand,
but are more than willing to do their bit for those who do!
During the early 80s there were a lot of archaeologists disgruntled by how
much money was being spent on the Mary Rose project. Very little of the
money spent came from the government, millions were generated especially
from the US because when people became aware if the project they were more
than willing to support it.
The Mary Rose project approached many large commercial organisations with
the hope of funding. Marks & Spencer were not willing to donate any money
but what they did instead profoundly transformed the projects funding.
Instead of giving money they seconded one of their marketing executives to
the project for a year. The executive, Ian Dahl, marketed the project with
a commercial interest using  the customer's interest in the past as its
product. He once told me how he found it quite remarkable that one could
generate so much money  from such an intangible product.