As you say, Mike, the moat could be filled for special events. This is not
beyond reason as the whole site could have been 'decorated' for ceremonial
purpose. It is generally the norm for religious as well as civic sites to
be tarted up for special occasions. The Christmas season, here in the UK,
is nearly upon us and some people will go to extraordinary lengths to
celebrate the festival period.
I could easily envisage the henge monument being decorated with all manner
of contrivances to make it look more festive. A water feature would only
enhance the site.

One thought. Perhaps EH or the CBA could run a competition for their
kiddies clubs where entrants could send in pictures of how they might
envisage the henge to look in a festive decor.