Hi Christian: I have been very busy with travel, research and teaching.

My PhD dissertation on the opium poppy was published as a university press book:

Merlin, M. 1984. On the Trail of the Ancient Opium Poppy: Natural and Early Cultural History of Papaver somniferum. Associated University Presses, East Brunswick, New Jersey, 324 pp.

Unfortunately, the book was published in a rather small printing (about 500 or less copies). You have already been referred to an article on mine in Economic Botany (2003). In case you haven't downloaded that article it is attached for your reference.

I believe the seed are Papaver somniferum, but I will leave the subspecies ID to the more modern taxonomists. My ideas about the Western Mediterranean origins of the "opium poppy" have not been effectively dismissed yet; on the other hand, if this area was correct for the early human-opium poppy associations then it was rather unique in its incorporation with the agricultural transported landscape that drew so much of it flora and fauna from more eastern origins.

Best Wishes, Mark Merlin, Botany Department, University of Hawaii at Manoa