Dear Christin,
We can’t see very clearly the cells, and I have only charred material, but did you try Viscum album bark?

Best regards,
Lucie

Le 25 nov. 2014 à 12:45, Christin Jensen <[log in to unmask]> a écrit :

Dear all,
I have found these fragments of some kind of stalk (hollow tube) in a narrow organic layer between two layers of alluvial sand at a coastal site in northern Norway. We thought it might be fern at first glance, but the small cells oriented in horizontal rows are puzzling. Do you recognize what kind of organism? The age may be late Neolithic or Bronze Age. The scale bar of the photos at page 1 and 2 is 1 mm.

Best regards,

Christin

Dr. Christin E. Jensen
Assoc. prof. in botany, Museum of Archaeology
University of Stavanger, Norway

Tel. +47 51832631

Dr. Lucie MARTIN. Archaeobotanist
* Laboratory of Prehistoric Archaeology and Anthropology , Institut F. A. Forel, University of Geneva,
18 route des Acacias, CH-1211 Geneva 4
* Environnement, DYnamiques et TErritoire de la Montagne (EDYTEM),
Université de Savoie, Pôle Montagne, F-73376 Le Bourget du Lac
+41(0)22 379 69 48
http://www.unige.ch/forel/lap/contact-1/equipe/Martin.html