Hi,

1) It wouldn't be easy to create a rectangular prism or cylinder with orientation that varied, depending on the orientation of the cortex.  Also, given the nature of how things would spread inside the head I'm not sure whether it is worthwhile going to this effort versus just sticking with a sphere.  So I would advise that you stick with the sphere for now.

2) If you are concerned about the accuracy of the GM mask, especially in the sulci, then I would advise you to take the GM PVE segmentation from the individual subject, in their native space and at that resolution, and threshold it yourself at a point where you are happy with the resulting accuracy.  It is unlikely to be perfect, but it is easier for you to adjust the relative errors between over-segmentation and under-segmentation if you choose your own threshold.  Using the native resolution should also help a lot.

3) The 3D viewer in FSLView is very sensitive to using the right thresholds and doing operations in the correct order.  If you go to the first practical in the FSL Course then you will find a section on running the 3D viewer.  Follow the instructions there very carefully, especially with respect to the order of the operations, and you should find that things will work out.

All the best,
Mark