Interesting points, Alan!

Precipitation probabilities always seem to be vague as to whether they
refer to a time-space POINT, or a time-space LINE. e.g. this one says 9am
10%; 10am <5%. Does this mean 10% prob of raining at exactly 9am, or 10%
prob of raining some time between 9am and 10am, or even 10% prob of raining
THROUGHOUT THE TIME between 9am and 10am.

Similarly on the space dimension. If these probs are for 'York' say, is the
event: "Rain somewhere in York", or "Rain at a particular point defined
e.g. by Google to be 'York'", or even "Rain throughout York"?

This gives 3x3=9 possible interpretations for the event "Rain tomorrow at
York". Even discounting the 'throughout' interpretations, but that still
leaves 2x2=4.

Can the real met office please stand up (with umbrella if need be), and
advise us on this? The world needs to know!

JOHN BIBBY

On 2 September 2014 11:28, [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The UK Met Office now supplies forecasts on the web with an hourly
> probability
> of precipitation. As the National Curriculum for schools now includes
> teaching
> probability, how would you suggest handling these values? For today
> (below), the
> hourly probabilities are obviously serially correlated.  Any suggestions
> for how
> combine the p-values to get an estimate for the day?  As a school exercise,
> should I
> take a coat or umbrella when I go out?
>
> 0900 1000 1100 1200 1300 1400 1500 1600 1700 1800 1900 2000 2100 2200 2300
> Precipitation probability
> 10%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%  <5%
>
> The "weather" is shown as "overcast" all day.
>
> Writing this at 1100, I can report the p value for 1000 and 1100 were
> updated to
> 10%
> *after* 1000 and that at 1105 there is light rain from flat clouds.
>
> We find it strange that forecasts for this area are so erratic and
> unreliable
> given that
> we are (a) roughly 40 miles NE of the Met Office in Exeter and (b) roughly
> 6
> miles SE of
> a Met Office rainfall radar station.
>
> My own thought is that the serial correlation has been discounted, and the
> actual meaning was
> that it was quite likely to rain today, but they could not say exactly
> when. So
> looking at <5%
> across the day is not too helpful if you are going out for several hours.
>
> At 11:15 the rain has got heavier.
>
> Allan
>
> You may leave the list at any time by sending the command
>
> SIGNOFF allstat
>
> to [log in to unmask], leaving the subject line blank.

SIGNOFF allstat