The covered ambulatory in Brixworth is below the level of the original apse,
but I am not sure if that counts...

Jane

  _____

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jon Cannon
Sent: 28 August 2014 21:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] sanctuaries in Saxon Churches

There are certainly other A-S churches where the sanctuary is raised on a
crypt: Wing is the obvious example; also Repton I think and I've suggested a
possibility at Westbury upon Trym. I've not come across the sanctuary itself
taking a step down before (ring crypts and aisles round the outside of one
may do so), but the best way to check this is to go to the Taylors' volumes
on Anglo-Saxon architecture, which list such features.

Jon

  _____