Thanks, Hannibal. This comes at a perfect time for my way overdue essay on polemics. The list might be amused by two details that fell my way. One is EEBO's version of "magister artis," which gets turned by the transcriber into "magister aries"--after all, one may reflect, astronomy is one of those "arts." Second, and more relevant to Hannibal's post and its reference to the section on Spenser and the sacraments, is a delicious bit from Dent's The plaine mans path-way to Heaven (1601): the learned "Theologus" (who speaks in black letter) is quizzing the dim Asunetus. Theologus asks, "What is a Sacrament?" "The Lords Supper," replies Asunetus. "How many Sacraments be there?" "Two." "Which be they?" And Asunetus says, "Bread and Wine."
     Thanks again, Hannibal. Anne.