Nicely said Sarah. Like many others I do spend a lot of time explaining, elucidating and troubling these topics. It's my job to undertake these tasks taking care not to overwhelm undergrads or expose them to too much self-anxiety about the packaging of celebrity chefs and the no-name junk foods of art history, or to overly direct the research of grad students even when it walks over past written texts (it's not just artists who "inadvertently remake earlier works") I value.

Interpellations of punditry and revenue streams abound - it is an effect of a long shift from a (privileged) notion of 'vocation' to professionaiization. Like other manifestations that artists and other have messed with and occasionally authored, everyday "digital life" successfully continues without any necessary mediation by gallery/museum exhibitions or collecting institutions. So yes maybe a common sense function of the museum is as much to research and present the history of practices (known, less known, not known) as much as it is showcasing the "new."  Roger Silverstone's writing on the shared dilemmas of museums and television has undoubtedly been re-theorised to include museums and new digital media?

And what of the everyday and the popular? To state what to this readership is obvious: social media existed before the Net and digital media - letters, phone calls, telegrams, audiotape and direct to disc letters sent from war zones to home. How many of you saw the Scopitone 16 mm film loop jukebox of the 1960s? That history was overridden by those who apparently invented the promotional "music video" in the 1970s and 1980s. The French Scopitone itself was pre-dated by American 'soundies' made popular by Panoram coin-operated machines playing 16 mm loops produced between 1940-46 . The equipment was located in nightclubs, restaurants, bars, and "other public places."(?) Unlike MTV's early guffaws, both Scopitone and Panoram were less adverse to the making and/or programming of audio works by Black artists.

Tx. Clive