Hi Nicholas & all,

 >So instead of operating in the suburbs, how could the list propose
that it is in fact the
 >art world that is suburban - with its gated community paywalls,
whitecube picket fences,
 >and McMansions Art Centers - instead of the other way around.

I agree with the above & Sarah’s post on the matter works for me.

Anyway — I’m too busy at the moment with our ‘provincial’ exhibition. A
collaboration with The Arts Catalyst “SEFT-1 Abandoned Railways
Exploration Probe: Modern Ruins 1:220 — Ivan Puig and Andrés Padilla
Domene” http://go.shr.lc/1jy7AJo

It was featured in the Guardian last week by Jonathan jones ‘The
ruin-hunters who drove a car down Mexico's forgotten railways’
http://go.shr.lc/1qwbV4K

And will be featured on the BBC news on Friday…

Oh wait! I get it, it’s seen as ‘provincial’ because the work
successfully reaches people, beyond their art establishment silos. Of
course ;-)

bye for now.

marc

 > Sarah + all:
 >
 > I actually think that there's some stuff worth engaging in this...
 >
 > I haven't read Joanne's book, so I can't speak to the ways in which this
 > piece fails as a review, but this closing statement definitely sent a
 > shiver down my browser:
 >
 > "The problem with the book, as with internet art, is that no one has
 > recognised the aesthetic problems of provincial conversation. Work by
 > artists who turn inward to have hushed talks with a small coterie about
 > local problems will have little effect on culture at large. McLuhan’s
 > global village may have its merits, but the cultural celebration of
 > marginalism in art is not one of them."
 >
 > The reactionary in me would outright disagree with this, but I did have a
 > moment of thinking bout who does address the aesthetic problems of the
 > "provincial conversation" of internet art. So maybe as a way of thinking
 > about outright disagreeing with Pac Pobric, the list might suggest some
 > compelling counters?
 >
 > To that end, the metric of cultural relevance as proposed in this article
 > is squarely situated in archaic models of art
presentation/distribution (I

http://www.theartnewspaper.com/articles/Internet-art-fails-to-click/32983

SC015096

--