With apologies for cross-posting,

Viviane

*RSC Historical Group Meeting Thursday 19 June 2014 at Burlington House,
Piccadilly, London *

*Chemistry as a Hobby*

*Programme*

1.50     Welcome (Dr John Hudson) and Introduction (Peter Reed)

2.00     Dr Melanie Keen (University of Cambridge) – *From candles to
cabinets*

2.45     Professor Frank James (Royal Institution) – *Michael Faraday and
the chemical history of a candle *

3.30     Tea

3.45     Dr Salim Al-Gailani (University of Cambridge) – *When chemistry
sets became toys*

4.30     Reverend Adrian McLaughlin (Belfast) – *My Home Laboratories: One,
Two, Three, Four, Five, Six and Seven*

5.15     Closing remarks (Professor Alan Dronsfield)

5.30     Conclusion of meeting

*Note*

The programme allows plenty of time for those attending to reminisce about
their own experiences and influences.

Non-members of the Group are welcome at this meeting.

To register for this meeting, please contact the Secretary of the
Historical Group, Professor John Nicholson, either by e-mail (
[log in to unmask]) or by post, completing the following slip and
sending it with an SAE to Professor John Nicholson, School of Sport, Health
& Applied Science, St Mary’s University, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW1  4SX.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________-

I wish to attend the RSC Historical Group Meeting on Chemistry as a Hobby
at Burlington House, Piccadilly London on 19 June 2014 at 1.50pm.

Name:

Address:

--
Dr Viviane Quirke

Senior Lecturer in Modern History and History of Medicine
Centre for Health, Medicine and Society: Past and Present
T 530
Oxford Brookes University
Gispy Lane
Oxford