-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Fwd: [Listmail] Institute for the History of Science and
Medicine “López Piñero” Valencia
Date: 	Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:48:27 +0100
To: 	Belinda Michaelides <[log in to unmask]>

-------- Original Message --------

Von: 	Jose Ramon Bertomeu Sanchez<[log in to unmask]>
An: 	Prof. Dr. Bettina Wahrig<[log in to unmask]>

Dear colleagues,

We write to inform you that the president of the CSIC (the Spanish
National Council for Scientific Research), unilaterally and with no
warning at all, has decided to break the agreement existing between the
CSIC and the University of Valencia, which would mean the closing of the
Institute for the History of Science and Medicine “López Piñero” of
Valencia on 15 December 2014. In the communication from the president of
the CSIC to the rector of the University of Valencia, it is literally
alleged that “the Institute has suffered a considerable reduction of its
activity and scientific production as a consequence of the significant
loss of personnel working in it”.

As you can imagine, we, the researchers of the institute, do not agree
with this judgment at all. Among other reasons, because in the
evaluation of the accomplishment of research objectives of the past year
2013, made by CSIC itself, we have arrived to the 100%. On the other
hand, next September at the Institute will begin the new
inter-university MA History of Science and Scientific Communication,
with the University Miguel Hernández and the University of Alicante.
Moreover, the Institute has been organizing and hosting regularly
conferences, seminars, round tables, cycles of academic lectures, etc.,
as many of you know and can be seen in our website (www.ihmc.uv-csic.es
<http://www.ihmc.uv-csic.es>). Against the decision there is also the
recent placing at the Palau de Cerveró, location of the Institute, of
the permanent exhibitions of the scientific-medical collection of the
University of Valencia.

For all those reasons, as a colleague knowing of this reality, we ask
you to express your solidarity and state your support (personal as well
as institutional) to the continuity of the Institute for the History of
Science and Medicine “López Piñero” through messages sent to the
president and vicepresident of the CSIC and to the rector of the
University of Valencia.

Thank you very much in advance for your support,

The faculty meeting of the Institute for the History of Science and
Medicine “López Piñero” (CSIC-Universitat de València)

PS: These are the addresses:

President of the CSIC. Emilio Lora-Tamayo D’Ocón
([log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Rectorof the Universitat de València: Esteban Morcillo Sánchez
([log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  )

Vicepresident of Organización y Relaciones Institucionales CSIC: José
Ramón Urquijo Goitía ([log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

--

*José Ramón Bertomeu-Sánchez*

Institutd'Història de la Medicina i de la Ciència "López Piñero"

Universitatde València-CSIC

PlaçaCisneros, 4

46003 VALENCIA (Spain)

email:[log in to unmask]

TF: + 00 34 963926241 / 963864164

http://www.uv.es/bertomeu

http://www.uoa.gr/step  : STEP - Science and Technology in the European
Periphery.

--
Prof. Dr. Bettina Wahrig
Technische Universitaet Braunschweig

Neuerscheinung: Biologics, A History of Agents Made From Living
Organisms in the Twentieth Century
Studies for the Society for the Social History of Medicine: 16
Editors: Alexander von Schwerin, Heiko Stoff and Bettina Wahrig
http://www.pickeringchatto.com/titles/1676-9781848934306-biologics-a-history-of-agents-made-from-living-organisms-in-the-twentieth-century