P.s. With belated acknowledgement to Zane for reference to pedagogy!!

Sent from Samsung Mobile

-------- Original message --------
From: Zane Ma Rhea <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 29/06/2014 16:08 (GMT+00:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Campaign for Wisdom-Inquiry

Hi all

I agree that the focus needs to be about how to get the concept of wisdom back into the business of higher learning/universities. For wisdom to be recognized as a cognate area it seems to me that two things need to happen...

First, there needs to be a recognized multidiciplinary Wisdom Studies cognate area developed where there is a global research effort (supported by a high ranking journal, research funds, and an international conference for the purpose) and second there needs to be a Wisdom Education cognate area developed that researches the pedagogy of teaching wisdom at university level (again supported by the usual academic research, conferences and publications activities). In my view, these two aspects are intertwined but distinct.

I have used this approach successfully in a local way in my academic work. I research aspects of wisdom and also am explicit in my classes that I am inviting my students to develop their wisdom. Many students really enjoy this aspect of their scholarship! So I know the process described above has worked for me, that I pay attention to both the scholarship about wisdom in pluricultural, postcolonial societies and also the methods of teaching about a wisdom inquiry approach...

I would be happy to work with interested folks on developing journals, conferences etc and seeking research funds for global collaboration about this matter...

Thanks for the call to arms Nick...

Zane