All,

I absolutely agree with Ian and Ron.

My lasting memory of University life as a postdoc in the UK in the 90s
was the Research Assessment Exercises (RAEs), which seem to measure
academic success by the number of papers (essentially knowledge-based)
that were churned out each year.  If you didn't churn out the requisite
number of papers, your rating when down, your funding dried up and as a
knock-on effect your FTEs declined (Full Time Equivalents - fee-paying
bums on seats), as students went to other universities with better
"ratings".  This inevitably lead to "salami-slicing", as one decent
paper was chopped up in to four papers to make the numbers up.

Even worse was the fact that research applications seem to be judged by
the amount of new "data" that would be collected. Research departments
were often unable to get funding to "interpret" the data they already
had, which languishes on the departmental server whilst the researchers
are out collecting more data.  So a lot of the "data" doesn't even get
transformed in to "knowledge", let alone "wisdom".

I wonder if we could devise a research assessment rating scheme based on
"contribution to wisdom", rather than "volume of knowledge generated"?

Coincidentally I am sitting here writing a document for a client whose
staff I am training in the near future.  They want me to demonstrate
what the ROI will be for the training course. Defining the ROI requires
us to know what we value.

Can we find a way to "value" knowledge and wisdom, then compare them, so
we can determine the RORI (Return on Research Investment)?  Surely we
can demonstrate that wisdom is more valuable, since it results in
tangible solutions to real problems, with real values.

Coincidentally, the attached turned up on my Facebook page this morning.

All the best

Greg

/Dr. Greg Samways - Petroleum Geology Consultant and Trainer/
Mob: +44 (0)7720 296 483
Tel: +33 (0)555 78 54 20
VOIP: +44 (0)20 7193 1815
/Website: www.adinvenio.com/