Dear David,

From my time as an "Azubi" in the "Gesetzliche Sozialversicherung", I remember that the average annual income (Jahresdurchschnittsentgelt) is mentioned in Sozialgesetzbuch VI, Anhang I. This is actually online, as I just realised; please see:

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/sgb_6/anlage_1_584.html

It's an overview which ranges from 1881 till today, and it at least provided yoi with an idea of what average annual income of people was. For example, if you look at 2001, it was 55216 (DM obviously) and the year after, in 2002 it was 28626 (Euro, of course). So the numbers are in RM, DM, and EUR respectively.

Not sure this helps - but it somehow might (though it doesn't cover the GDR).

Best wishes,

Falco

--
Dr Falco Pfalzgraf
http://webspace.qmul.ac.uk/fpfalzgraf

* Director of Taught Programmes [SLLF<http://www.sllf.qmul.ac.uk/>]
* Academic Co-ordinator of the Language Centre [SLLF-LC<http://language-centre.sllf.qmul.ac.uk/>]
* Acting Deputy Director of the Centre for Anglo-German Cultural Relations [CAGCR<http://www.cagcr.org.uk>]
* Chairman of the London/UK branch of the Association for the German Language / Gesellschaft für deutsche Sprache [GfdS<http://www.gfds.org.uk>]

Queen Mary, University of London [QMUL<http://www.qmul.ac.uk>]
LONDON E1 4NS

Are you interested in our MA in Applied Linguistics for English Language Teaching (MAALELT)? Check
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/coursefinder/courses/121395.html<http://www.qmul.ac.uk/qmul/courses/courses.php?course_id=752&dept_id=19&pgcourses=1&course_level=1>