Dear colleagues

The XVII UISPP Congress is coming soon (1-7 September in Burgos, Spain) and we would like to remind you about our session “Coastal adaptation: assessing past resilient socio-ecological systems”.

It is an exciting opportunity to discuss the role of coastal environments for the establishment of complex social systems among hunters and gatherers and for the nature of the inter-relationship between agricultural and marine food resources.

Please note that the conference papers must be sent to www.burgos2014uispp.com by 30 April 2014 with the following information (in English): Title, author's name (or person responsible when a team), mail, reference institution, abstract and keywords. Furthermore, congress participants must communicate which sessions they want to include their communications and/or posters in before May 31, 2014. Also, the deadline for registrations is 28 August 2014. For further information please visitwww.burgos2014uispp.com and http://www.uispp.org/

We are looking forward to meeting you in Burgos next September

All the best

Ximena S. Villagran

André C. Colonese

XVII World UISPP Congress

Burgos (Spain), 1-7 September 2014

Coastal adaptation: assessing past resilient socio-ecological systems

Ximena S. Villagran (Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen, ximena.[log in to unmask])

André C. Colonese (University of York, [log in to unmask])

Coastal settings are becoming paradigm for the development of modern human behaviour, as primordial migration routes and for the establishment of complex social systems among hunters and gatherers. In many coastal areas of the world the arrival of farmers into the territories previously inhabited by coastal hunter-gatherers unchained irreversible and unique processes of change. In some cases, cultural replacement has been identified, while in others new systems developed from the clash of cultures. Our session aims to explore the discussions into cultural change in coastal settings, with special emphasis in the unique coastal cultures that develop from the contact of farmers with prehistoric fishing and shellfish gathering communities. We welcome all archaeologists working with coastal settings, without chronological or geographical constrains, interested in exploring the specificities of cultural change in the dependence of aquatic resources.

--

André Carlo Colonese

Department of Archaeology, BioArCh

University of York