From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of EDWARDS, Robert (Environment)
Sent: 03 April 2014 10:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fun with GIS!

Having used both, I definitely disagree with Nick. MapInfo is one of the clunkiest and least intuitive pieces of software that I've ever had the misfortune to use. I think this just goes to show how much it comes down to personal preference when it comes to choosing software.

As an aside, I'd certainly recommend people downloading and giving QGIS a try (http://www.qgis.org/en/site/). It's not as slick as ArcGIS and the like, but it's very capable and more importantly free.

Rob Edwards
Historic Environment Records Officer
Cheshire Archaeology Planning Advisory Service

Tel: 01244 973667
Location: The Forum, Chester, Cheshire, CH1 2HS.

Disclaimer:

If you are not the intended recipient of this email (and any attachment), please inform the sender by return email and destroy all copies. Unauthorised access, use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.
The views expressed by the author do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council. The Council cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended. You should perform your own virus checks.
Cheshire West and Chester Borough Council may monitor emails and as a public sector organisation; the Council may disclose this email (or any response to it) under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Contracts cannot be concluded with the Council nor service effected by email, unless otherwise expressly agreed. The contents of this e-mail may be subject to privilege.

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.