From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Crispin Flower
Sent: 28 April 2014 14:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Friday question - ideas for a birthday celebration

This all touches on an issue I was discussing with folk in Norfolk and Suffolk HERs last week – we should really be keeping histories of how our HERs have developed – technological changes, staff, significant data acquisitions and enhancement programmes, changes in recording policies, etc.

This is really important for many reasons, and some do so already. But for many HERs it seems to be mainly in the heads of the senior members of the community (or lost forever)!

Just a thought, but we would be happy to provide and host a web site with a kind of history for every HER, that you (HER officers) would be able to complete as time permits from the year dot and then into the future. Permissions to edit the history for each HER could either be limited to that HER itself, or open to anyone who knows stuff… you decide. I think public location for this would be useful, more so than private documents.

Would this be useful? Or perhaps it should be within IFP?

Crispin