Overqualified and underemployed: Britain faces 'youth  talent crisis' as
new figures reveal more than a million young people working  menial jobs
(Nigel Morris Indie)

The “hidden talent” of 2.5 million young adults is being wasted because
they are on the dole, working part-time or in jobs for which they are
over-qualified, the Government is warned today.

The problem of “underemployment” and underachievement among 16- to
24-year-olds is particularly acute in industrial cities of the north of England,
such as Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester.
Official figures published tomorrow are expected to show another fall in
unemployment in the United Kingdom to around 2.3 million, the lowest total
since  the financial crash of 2008, some 900,000 of whom are aged 16 to 24.
But an analysis by the Local  Government Association (LGA) shows the
picture is far gloomier for young  adults in England and Wales than the headline
figures suggest.
It says 40 per cent of  16-to-24-year-olds are failing to make the most of
their abilities in the  workplace, with nearly 1.3 million not working at
all and another 1.2  million who are “underemployed or  overqualified”. In
some areas the proportion is close to 50 per cent.
This group has soared in size by  nearly 750,000 since 2005, an increase
not fully explained by the growth in the  size of the youth population [but
as Danny Dorling says, 'This is a recession where people have not been laid
off  so much as not taken on.'], and the LGA calculates they could work more
than  extra two billion hours a year if their potential was fully
exploited.
It also forecasts that the number  will fall slightly to about 2.1 million
by 2018 – still around one third of the  youth population – suggesting that
young adults will not share the full benefits  of economic recovery.
Peter Box, the chairman of the LGA’s economy and transport board, said:  “
It is simply unacceptable that we  expect a third of young people to be
unemployed in 2018 and it would be a  travesty if young people were being left
behind when the rest of the economy is  growing and benefiting from this.
“It is all of our responsibility to make sure that young people are getting
 the best possible start in life. We need to listen to the young people
that are  telling us they want more work and not let them fly under the radar
because of  employment statistics that make us think  the situation is
improving.”
According to the LGA research, which covers October 2012 to September 2013,
more than 1.27  million young adults are not working at all.
A further 762,000 have jobs but say  they would like to work extra hours.
Another 424,000 are assessed to be not  working to their potential, the
majority of whom are graduates in jobs usually  viewed as non-graduate posts.
The LGA says the areas with the  biggest pool of “hidden talent” among
16-to-24-year-olds are South Yorkshire (49  per cent), West Yorkshire (44 per
cent) and Tyne and Wear (43 per cent). The  proportion for Wales is 42 per
cent.
The areas with the lowest rates  include inner London (35 per cent), the
West Midlands excluding the Birmingham  conurbation and the East Midlands
(both 37 per cent).
The LGA is critical of the performance of two Government schemes designed
to  cut youth unemployment.
It says the Youth Contract,  which gives temporary wage subsidies to
employers who provide a six-month  “job start” for under-25s, is “not  nearly
having the impact that was intended”.
And the Work Programme, under  which private and public sector providers
are paid by results to get the  unemployed into jobs, is “yet to achieve  the
performance gains that were expected of it”.
The LGA, which represents councils in England and Wales, is calling for
town  halls to be given powers over the funding of employment schemes to enable
them  to be tailored to local demands and skill shortages.[We asked for
this - and  Peter.]
Mr Box said: “We know the Government is investing a lot to help young
people  into employment. But councils know the reality of what is happening on
the  ground and our relationships with local people and businesses could be
used much  more than it is at the moment.”
Youth unemployment has been steadily  rising since the early 2000s and hit
a high of one million in 2011. The number  has only fallen slightly during
the economic recovery of the last 12 months and  now stands at 20.8 per cent
compared with 5.5 per cent among 25 to 64 year olds,  according to the LGA.
The youth job rate in Scotland, which  has bucked the trend of the rest of
the UK by falling steadily, is now 15.2 per  cent.
The BA barista: graduate’s tale
Alex Regan, 23, graduated  in 2011 with a 2:1 in history from King’s
College London. Since then, he has had  10 short-term roles in the   clerical and
catering  sectors. He now works at Pret a Manger to finance a  masters in
journalism.
Since graduating, I have applied for 143 positions and very few of my
applications were even acknowledged. I used to keep a copy of each one, but now
I just keep a tally, it’s too depressing.
I work at Pret a Manger, one of the many overqualified baristas.
Unfortunately, that’s the new  norm.
I am overqualified, but so are most other people there.  I don’t resent  it
– it is a means to fund my degree. But  trying to juggle the hours with  my
intensive studies is very tough. [re. 'Dead Student Working']
Having a bachelors no longer cuts it. I love studying journalism and
pursuing  something I really enjoy. Hopefully I’ll be able to make a living out of
it one  day. [On this, see my previous lettter to Gruan below. Also LGA
Report  attached.]
P.
The universities  attended by your ‘Generation Y’ trainee journalists who
control this week’s G2 (15 March) reveal the selective  processes of mass
higher education just as surely as Michael ‘Gove’s view of Old  Etonians’
influence on Cameron’ in the same issue. (Though the latter mainly  reveals
that many Tories have abandoned hope of winning next year’s election and
merely seek to stop a Boris succession!)
Not one of the 9  female out of 10 24-30 year-old trainees attended a
former-polytechnic (tho’ one  coyly admits to ‘living in Oxford for 3 years’ –
at Oxford Brookes perhaps  not!). Unlike the fabled progress from tea-boy
(sic) to editor, these trainees already  served extended academic
apprenticeships at universities representative of the  next rung below Gove’s ‘
preposterous Etonians’. John Harris’s ‘Inside the A*  factory’ in Guardian Weekend
shows  how this selection happens in schools where literary tests indicate
more or less  expensively acquired cultural capital.
So I look  forward to reading inter alia what  these top ten have to say
about how we box our way out of the social and  cultural logjam the current
education system has gotten us  into.
Patrick  Ainley