Hi All,

I'm going to attempt to pick up on a few different comments here…

Re: Knitting, Slippages, Handmade… If we were all given the same pattern (or code) to knit, they would all be different.  We can of course control for things like type of yarn, needle size, color, etc.  But given the handmade nature of it, there are the human factors of mood and attention that alter the end result.  On any given day one might knit tighter or looser, drop stitches dozing off, etc.  My tensions and styles will be unique to me.  These are things that are much harder to control.  (This is also one of the reasons I think it is absurd that items produced from commercial knitting patterns are copyrighted.)  Yes machines make "mistakes" and have "slippages" and "imperfections", but I do believe the actual human body ("human element" I think Kate called it) can not be replicated by machine.  Paul refers to "emergent poetics of error" but I might change that to "discovery".  In this way the body performs.  (Which is not to say that machines don't also perform)

On the idea of "behavior" vs "process", a recent article about NetFlix comes to mind from the Huffington Post - "How to Get the Most out of Netflix" basically gives you some tips on how to "train" the Netflix algorithm that suggests movies for you.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/13/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-netflix_n_4777149.html

Sara Diamond brought up "How we engage with the very process of formation of identities and practices".  And Stephanie brings up the idea of "re-programming the body to serve the needs of production as reflected in digital game culture."  I think these ideas are related to the idea of training an algorithm or engaging a behavior as we think about how we form/ program/ train our own identities, our online identities, and then our algorithmic identities.

About physical bodies (and knitting) I've always been fascinated by ergonomic devices and why/how we wear these things in order to interact with machines, but the machines don't do anything to make themselves "safer" for us.  Some humorous pieces that show this:
http://rachelbeth.net/portfolio/cakes.html
http://rachelbeth.net/portfolio/sweater.html

Paul and xtine have mentioned how we as artists assign roles of "viewer", "user", etc.  In a lot of interactive works I think it's interesting how they become both interactive and performative.  They need to be interactive to be activated/ performed, but they are viewed by more than the person doing the interaction.  Assigning roles also seems related to how we train and form these identities and interactions.

Not sure if others see the connections here, but these ideas seem to weave together for me.

Rachel Beth