> Also, way back in early March someone responded to my first post with a
> link about Therbligs/labor and I can't find it within all this wonderful
> list activity!
>
> cheers, Stephanie

That was me, incompetently managing the auto-reply. I'll resend, now that the
dancers have been so active:

------
Therbligs remind me of Laban Notation. Now, there's performativity of code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labanotation

*And* a portrait of a character to which I *aspire*. Dapper suit, mad wire
tool/wand/scepter, portentous indication... dude's got the total package.

There are notation generator algorithms, just as there are music generation
systems.

You know, I was expecting this to be a discussion about compilers, but this is
better. I'm halfway through Cramer's "Words Made Flesh": thanks, list!
---------------

NOT to throw shade on the text analysis!

I want compilers to be more conceptual, but they always start with grammar,
and the grammar is always so fussy, so that if there's an error, you don't get
misinterpretation, you get technical noise about syntax processes. Computer
languages tend to be mechanical systems optimized for size, speed, and
simplicity.

Text is hard to deal with if you don't have a neural verbal center with 100B
parts and 10 years of training. Concepts appear in code as the shadow of a
shadow.

I notice the dancers are not using Labanotation for generative works-- same
kind of thing? Laban errors just lead to spine injury? Are there notations
whose errors would be more gentle?

--
D. Neal McDonald
Assistant Professor, Animation and Interactive Media