Dear Colleagues

We share this tribute to Celia Butters: Celia was “ … a deeply respected, supportive and dedicated” Academic Skills Tutor at Glyndŵr University “devoted to teaching and learning” who died recently.  Knowing that publication of her recent paper in the JLDHE was a pleasure to her, we include this from her colleagues:

“ …  we want to honour her memory by sharing with you some of her qualities. We feel privileged to have worked with such a caring professional.  Celia inspired students to have the confidence to follow their goals and believe in their own abilities.  There is no finer tribute than Celia's recent nomination for the student led "Teaching Excellence Award, 2014" at Glyndwr University”.

JLDHE paper:

“I am just so delighted – now I know I can do it!”- How collaboration between Nurse Lecturers and Academic Skills Tutors promotes students’ confidence
Celia Butters, Sheila Kerfoot, Peggy Murphy, Alison Williams

www.aldinhe.ac.uk/ojs/index.php?journal=jldhe&page=article&op=view&path%5B%5D=207<http://www.aldinhe.ac.uk/ojs/index.php?journal=jldhe&page=article&op=view&path%5B%5D=207>

Abstract

This paper showcases two collaborative projects between Academic Skills Tutors and Nurse Lecturers aimed at increasing students’ writing and numerical skills. Both projects work proactively with students to increase their potential to succeed. Feedforward works on developing students’ academic writing skills and the Numerate project develops their confidence with numbers. The collaboration has had a positive effect on student retention within The University’s pre-registration nursing course. The feedback from students suggests that these interventions have helped to increase their confidence in their ability to learn.

Best wishes
Andy, Steph, Andrew, Moira, Mandy and John
JLDHE Editors

John Hilsdon
Head of Learning Support and Wellbeing
Room 104, 4 Portland Mews