Please don't forget to book for our meeting in London on Tuesday 1st April 2014 at 14.00, preceded by our AGM at 13.00. Titled, "Taming the news beast - Finding context and value in text and data", it will be especially useful for anyone interested in applications of KO to journalism and the press.

As content volumes and sources have exploded, for news producers and consumers alike it has become harder to extract context and value. The rise of digital publishing has cannibalized print revenues, and companies have to be more innovative in packaging their offerings for a competitive marketplace. Consumers too are faced with an unprecedented information overload and need ways to ensure they see only the services they truly value. As knowledge organizers, how do we address the challenges?

Two speakers from the BBC will start us off, showing how the development and adoption of ontologies has enabled a revolution in the processes behind news broadcasting. It will be interesting to compare this with the story from ABC News in the USA, where our generous sponsor LAC Group was brought in to revolutionise the production process. Cost-effective options for smaller players will be addressed too, in a talk about AnnoMarket, a pan-European research project to launch a cloud-based marketplace for text analytics. And finally we shall hear from the Press Association about semantic data management, tagging interfaces and triple store management.

 As usual the afternoon will be FREE for ISKO UK members and full-time students, and just £40  for non-members.   For more details please go to http://www.iskouk.org/events/news_beast_April_2014.htm and  book your place.

Please pass this invitation on to any colleagues who may be interested. Non-members are welcome also as observers at the AGM.

Hoping to see you there,
 ISKO UK announcements
http://www.iskouk.org
https://twitter.com/ISKOUK