Thanks for this response, Martin. These are all good points (as usual). The project in question is not a museum one - it is about landscape heritage and management and amongst the information they want to put together is guidance on plant management and maintenance as well as interpretative guides, trails and possibly something akin to an online exhibition.  I suspect they have suggested this format because it is more common in their sector

Regards

Isabel

From: Martin Bazley <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, 3 March 2014, 15:01
Subject: Re: Use of eflip softward to create brochures

Hi Isabel
The way I see it, the question is why would you want to?   I can see how the flip page-turning animations might add gloss in a promotional context, and there is an argument that some learners will find the flip action entertaining or more engaging than a 'flat' PDF or document.    But the flip side of that (forgive the pun) is that many people may engage more with the interface itself than the content.   As far as I can tell, it does make the file bigger than a normal PDF, although I can't be sure about that.

On the plus side, although it uses Flash for desktops and laptops, the mobile version seems to work well even on an iPhone which won't handle Flash.   Also the search seems to work, just as in a normal PDF.    When it comes to zooming in, however, there are only two options = whereas with a normal PDF, or Word document, you can move things around to get things just how you like.

This is designed for flipping through rather than studying in detail.  I found the text hard to read, as it is rendered graphically, not as actual text.

The conversion process has obviously been streamlined to make it easy to create these files, but I doubt it can be easier than just saving as a PDF from a Word document.

There are some websites where bound volumes or sequences of pages of special documents where I find page turning quite engaging.   But offhand I can't think of a situation where I would use this software to present learning resources as brochures.    In general I find learning resources are best presented in web page format.   To make it easy for teachers, learners etc want to print it off, either stylesheets can be used (so that the web pages print off without all the navigation and extra gubbins) or an aggregated PDF, from which people can choose which pages to print out.

Maybe others might have other examples or suggestions.

Best wishes
Martin

Martin Bazley
Digital heritage consultant