Hi Lyndsey

I asked my colleague Tom to reply to your enquiry:

We've used iPads in fixed positions in the galleries here at The Higgins Bedford as part of our recent redevelopment.

We've had no problems with screen size and the accessibility features of commercially-available tablets are excellent these days. One major benefit is flexibility. The range of housing and fixing methods and the smaller size of tablets mean they are ideal for placing as integral parts of exhibition layouts rather than as standalone kiosks, which can be a problem with larger units. There's also more scope for updating content etc etc.

Our designers created the individual pieces of content as apps - this means that the content can be made accessible to visitors to download to their own devices as well.

One thing I would say is that like any technology in galleries it needs looking after and will take up staff time. Whatever the security features put on content you'll be amazed at how visitors can find their way around them to load other functions, wipe content etc, so there needs to be a good programme of maintenance in place. Also, I think it's probably a mistake to automatically assume they will be cheaper. The hardware costs might represent a saving (and be cheaper to replace) but you've got to factor in the development costs, costs of publishing apps etc.

Happy to share any other experiences of this system if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Tom
The Higgins Bedford

Jo Roberts
Head of Learning & Access
The Higgins Bedford
T: 01234 276316  (Internal 44316)

Find us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/higginsbedford> and on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/TheHigginsBedford>

Recording Britain, an exhibition organised by the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, runs until 20th March 2014.
A National Art: Watercolour and the British Landscape Tradition runs until 27th April 2014.
Bawden's Britain runs until 11th May 2014.

See our website<http://www.thehigginsbedford.org.uk/> for more details about these exhibitions and for information on our events programme.
Holder of Sandford Award for Heritage Education since 1989
Bedford Borough Council - working with our partners to make the Borough a better place to live, work and visit.