martin

well actually there is a growing literature documenting the
work of the pioneers- one of the problems has been that
there are very few historians working on the pioneers
in art and technology ( eddie shanken comes to mind, in
my own university historian charissa terrranova is writing a new book)

our leonardo book series has an open call for book
proposals that document the history of art science technology
http://leonardo.info/isast/leobooks/guidelines.html
contact sean cubitt the editor in chief if interested

some of the books so far include

From Technological to Virtual Art
by Frank Popper

The Fourth Dimension and Non-Euclidean Geometry in Modern Art
(Leonardo Book Series) [Hardcover]
Linda Dalrymple Henders

Synthetics  ( australian pioneers)
by Stephen Jones

White Heat Cold Logic
Edited by Paul Brown, Charlie Gere, Nicholas Lambert and Catherine Mason

MediaArtHistories
edited by Oliver Grau

Women, Art, and Technology
edited by Judy Malloy

and to some extent

Information Arts
Intersections of Art, Science, and Technology
by Steve Wilson

So far we have failed to find a book proposal by a historian
really documenting the pioneering work in the soviet union and
central europe, or latin and south america = proposals welcome

we are still in a phase with many of the pioneers from the 60s
who are still alive- so the focus is on preservation of archives
( a number of universities have started recently focusing
on archives of the art and technology pioneers) and i know there
are a number of phd theses under way which includes valuable
oral histories= the media art histories conferences were started
as one mechanism for documenting and discussing the pioneers
but there are relatively few historians presenting at those conferences

i note if you look at the authors of the books in the leonardo
book series 75% are by male authors so we are part of
the problem - book authors are gatekeepers like curators

roger malina