Based on Maureen's suggestion, Iacopone da Todi's Lament of the Virgin
might also interest you, and it would give you some Franciscan context.
This book might be of help to you as well: Bernard McGinn, *The Flowering
of Mysticism: Men and Women in the New Mysticism (1200-1350)* (New York:
The Crossroads Publishing Company, 1998).

On 3 February 2014 04:06, MAUREEN Tilley [Staff/Faculty [FCLC]] <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> How about the Stabat Mater hymn as a source of reflection on Mary's
> suffering in the passion of Jesus?
>

> On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Diana Hiller <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>> A widely-read source and one that may be helpful is the c.1350 *Meditations
>> on the Life of Christ* probably written by Giovanni di Callibus (aka
>> John of Caulibus etc).  You could also look at Holly Flora's *The Devout
>> Belief of Imagination* (2009) and Sarah McNamer's *Affective Meditation
>> and the Invention of Medieval Compassion* (2010) on this text.
>>  Diana Hiller
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Cormack, Margaret Jean <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>>> culture
>>>
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> Can anyone direct me to discussions, especially primary sources, where
>>> medieval people are encouraged to envision and meditate on the crucifixion,
>>> and/or Marys pain observing it? Im wondering when such forms of
>>> meditation became common, and whether they were limited to monasteries (I
>>> doubt it, but monks and nuns would perhaps be a primary 'audience'.)
>>> Meg
>>> order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>>> [log in to unmask] For further information, visit
>>> our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion

>> report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>> [log in to unmask] For further information, visit
>> our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion
>>

> --
> Maureen A. Tilley
> Professor of Theology and Medieval Studies
> Fordham University
> 113 West 60th Street
> New York, NY 10023
> report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> [log in to unmask] For further information, visit
> our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion

--
Chantal Gustaw
PhD. Candidate in Mediaeval Studies