From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jon Cannon [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 9:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] cenotaphs

I concur with what Maddy says strongly. And I'd also counsel -- this may be obvious -- against making assumptions in any given case. Given their size, it is astonishing how many medieval tombs have demonstrably been moved around the church, or major parts of them -- entire effigies -- lost. This confuses the evidence for the true picture, ie the original relationship of effigy and burial -- all the more.

A couple more examples:
The retrospective bishops of Wells are a celebrated example of a much more widespread phenomenon: there were programmes of 'heritage' monuments to past bishops at Hereford and York, too.

The Bristol merchant William Canynges has two effigies in St Mary Redcliffe church, Bristol. One is a full-scale affair with a canopy in which he and his wife are depicted as a wealthy burgess-class couple; the other shows Canynges alone in alabaster, in his role as Dean of Westbury. They can't both be tombs!

At Gloucester (Prince Osric) and Malmesbury (Athelstan) abbeys there are sixteenth-century monuments to Anglo-Saxon royal founders and benefactors.

Jon
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion