I suspect demons were depicted with bodies because we can't depict them without bodies!  It is one of those issues, like Adam and Eve being depicted with navels that is there for the comfort of those looking on.

The origin of demons in Catholicism is usually held to be the fall of Lucifer and his minions in the Book of Revelation 12:7-9.

Jaye